NYC Mayor Eric Adams Makes Announcement After His Federal Case Was Dismissed

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

New York City Mayor Eric Adams announced that he will seek re-election as an independent candidate, opting not to participate in the Democratic primary for the 2025 mayoral race. Adams revealed his decision in an interview with Politico on Monday, citing a desire to run a “real independent campaign” following what he described as a politically damaging period involving federal bribery allegations that were recently dismissed.

Adams explained that the dropped charges, though no longer a legal threat, had a lingering effect on his political momentum. “I’m in the race to the end. I’m not running on the Democratic line. It’s just not realistic to turn around my numbers and to run a good campaign (from) where we are right now,” he stated. “It hurts like hell.”

The mayor faces significant challenges as he prepares for re-election. On March 1, former New York Governor Andrew Cuomo entered the race, reshaping the political dynamics of the upcoming election. A Quinnipiac University poll conducted in the days surrounding Cuomo’s announcement showed Cuomo leading with 31% support among Democrats, compared to Adams’ 11%. The same poll reported Adams’ approval rating at 20%.

Adams also used the interview to criticize Cuomo’s record on criminal justice reform. He pointed to Cuomo’s decision to sign bail reform legislation into law, which Adams claims contributed to a spike in crime during the COVID-19 pandemic. “Look at bail reform — that’s Andrew,” Adams said. “He can’t say, ‘I’m going to save the city from the far left’ when he surrendered to the far left.”

The federal charges against Adams were dismissed last week by U.S. District Judge Dale E. Ho. The charges had alleged that Adams accepted illegal campaign contributions and luxury travel from Turkish nationals in exchange for political favors. Adams has denied all wrongdoing and maintained that the accusations restricted his ability to campaign freely. “I have been this racehorse that has been held back,” Adams said. “This is so unnatural for me.”

Despite his current standing in the polls, Adams emphasized his commitment to continue campaigning through the general election. He stated that he intends to file the required 3,750 petition signatures on May 27 in order to qualify for the November ballot as an independent. “Now I need this runway until November to redefine and remind people: This is why you elected me in the first place,” he said.

Adams, a former New York City Police Department captain and Brooklyn Borough President, was elected as mayor in 2021, campaigning on a platform focused on public safety, economic recovery, and combating inequality. His first term has been marked by challenges including public safety concerns, ongoing debates over housing and immigration, and tensions with both local and national Democratic leaders.

The decision to run outside the Democratic Party positions Adams as a potentially significant third-party candidate in one of the most high-profile mayoral races in the country. The move also marks a rare shift in New York City politics, where candidates typically seek support from major party lines. The general election is scheduled to take place in November 2025.

Facebook
Twitter
LinkedIn

Add New Playlist